Planning your website strategy
And then continuing to plan
The vast majority of clients who come to us are good business operators, but many are failing in one key area of marketing – planning their website strategy and continually revising the plan as more data flows in.
A common mistake by businesses is thinking, “We’ve got a website, job done”. Wrong. You’ve ticked the first box, but how do you know it’s good?
You don’t set and forget 12 months’ worth of TV, radio or newspaper ads. You measure results and change your approach to maximise engagement and conversion - be that a sale, or an enquiry.
Why you need a website plan
The thing that differs when planning your website from traditional advertising is the TV networks, radio stations and newspapers don’t change the rules on a regular basis. They take your ad, it runs and it works or it doesn’t. That’s it.
Google and the other search engines not only move the goalposts on where your site ranks, they charge varying amounts for their advertising based on quality. That’s right, try to buy an ad that lands on a page not related to that ad and you pay more.
Now, you need to start thinking in that same way about your organic (unpaid) traffic. No website out of the box is going to dominate search results. That’s like a race car team expecting their new car will win its first race without even a lap of testing.
Comparing your ROI with other marketing
Obviously, here at Kook, we are biased about the web being THE best-bang-for-buck marketing dollar-wise. Very few local businesses these days get decent return on investment from TV ads, and even less so from newspaper ads. Radio achieves ROI for us and many others, with frequency and campaign longevity the keys, while web advertising returns for 99% of businesses.
With Facebook Ads and Google Ads (formerly known as AdWords), you can easily see whether you’re getting your desired ROI and, if you’re not, you change up the campaign or stop it. What’s more, you can tell almost immediately whether the new ad message works better than the old one. Even if you don’t get a phone call, you know when you’ve had a click! You can’t even tell how many people have actually seen your TV or newspaper ads, but with the web the number of impressions are tracked also.
Regarding organic traffic, it’s “free”. It’s actually like the editorial in the newspaper, or the actual shows on TV. It also carries with it a lot more credibility than an ad as it is “endorsed” by the newspaper or TV station as important enough to warrant special treatment. Same goes for your Google search rankings.
What makes a good website plan?
The only way to tell if it’s good is by sales, and you need to determine:
- What is a successful conversion from your site? A product sale? An enquiry form submitted? A phone call? A download of a free report?
- What do you think the conversion rate of traffic will be? This depends hugely on what is being sold, the length of the typical sales cycle for that product or service and the traffic source: organic versus paid varies; Facebook Ads versus Google Ads is vastly different; and remarketing ads versus standard display ads different again.
- What is the value of that conversion? We can help you calculate that if you don’t know how.
- How many conversions do you need per day/week/month to constitute success?
- What volume of traffic you will need from each channel to achieve this level of success?
Stunning website design that ranks and converts
Website strategy, creative design and development
Whatever your business, Kook can create a stunning and intuitive website that will impress your customers. Kook are web design and web development Sunshine Coast specialists and true leaders among Australian website design companies.
SEO best practices
Your site will be created using best practices for search engines. Unlike other website design companies, we don’t just fit your business with a standard website package or generic website template.
No need to guess whether your site is effective. Every site is installed with Google Analytics and reporting mechanisms added to show you how well your web presence is working for you.
Stand out from the crowd
A custom web design is not a template site with colours changed like so many cheap web solutions. Our designs are created for your business with your customers in mind.
The best solution for your business
Select from the list below to see how we can help you with your required solution:
- Standard web design – Ideal for service businesses or businesses not ready to sell online.
- eCommerce solutions – Looking to sell your wares online or change your web provider. See how we make e-commerce work!
- Brand design – Branding, logos, flyers.
- Integrated solutions – Need your website to communicate with third party system such as POS, accounting packages, freight providers, other websites?
- Custom website development solutions – If you have requirements that are really out of the box, click here, we can help.
Talk to us